8/19/11

DIY Air-Driven Protein Skimmer

I decided to get my 10g sump running again in order to increase the tank's stability by doubling the water volume. I thought I could also use a protein skimmer so I decided to build one.

Whole thing:

That green piece is a quick disconnect for when I need to do maintenance:


Bottom cap:


My DIY basswood diffuser next to a standard store bought one:

A few days worth of skimmate:


The skimmer is gravity-fed so I used a tee to split the flow. I also have a ball valve on the skimmer outflow and one on the split stream in order to control the flow and height of the water in the skimmer. Unfortunately, right now I can't use the DIY diffuser because my cheapo air pump can't handle it so I'm using two of those standard ones. When I can afford it, I'd like to get a Coralife Luft Pump. I'm sure the efficiency would increase dramatically with one of those.

Overall, this thing was super cheap to build and the only thing that took any time to do was figuring out how I wanted to plumb it into the overflow. I think it's performing pretty well so I'm happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment